Tuesday, January 17, 2012

DIY: Bolo Necklace

If you follow me on Instagram you probably remember a photo of men's shoe laces. I did indeed promise you a DIY and here it is. I found myself in CVS one day and stumbled upon shoe laces. I loved these laces because they looked braided and really similar to classic bolo rope. I quickly snatched them up and began brainstorming ways that I could make the decorative parts of the bolo. Here is what I came up with. 
You will need: 1.exacto knife 2.pliers(you may want these for added help with the stud but not necessary) 3.scissors 4.hammer & stud kit 5.leather 6.shoe laces 7.embroidery thread
Steps: 1. Cut a piece of leather appropriate to the size of your bolo 2. Insert stud in place on the leather 3. Use the exacto knife to cut inserts for the shoe lace to make sure the necklace can slide up and down 4. Cut fringe and trim sides of leather. I suggest using an exact knife to cut the fringe most evenly and easily. 
5. Make two tassels out of embroidery thread 6. Use a complimentary color to wrap the tassels onto the ends of the bolo (shoe lace ends) basically insert the plastic ends of the shoelace into your tassel, wrap the other embroidery thread around it and even use a needle to make sure the tassels are in place. 
And here is my finished bolo! 
**It may be tough to tell in these photos but the leather is a nice dark brown w. golden stud, green/gold tassels with ice blue accent**

I hope that you enjoyed this DIY, it was really pretty cheap for me all I had to buy was the shoe laces. I have one more shoe lace left...and my mind is set on a bracelet! I'm sure you'll see soon enough! 

Thanks for stopping in!
Lo

4 comments:

  1. so that is what the shoe laces were for, very very cute lo!
    xo,
    cb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg, so cute! I have extra leather lying around so I will have to give this a try. Plus, I love me some bolos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What? That's so awesome! I'm totally trying that.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting my little blog! I greatly appreciate your time & your comment & hope to get back to you shortly!