Monday, September 5, 2011

Toast Tuesday: Under a New Light

I'm always super fascinated with geometric shapes matched with colors and stones. I instantly fell in love with the Montreal based Etsy shop Under A New Light. Often shops have very similarly themed items and that can be very nice but Under A New Light was really refreshing because of their variety, which was somehow cohesively blended into a perfect shop. I was lucky enough to talk with shop owner Guisela about what inspired her to start Under a New Light. Here is Under A New Light's inspiration story:


"After giving birth to my little Mia-Valentina in late 2009, I became a stay-at-home mum. That was not something natural for someone like me who had been working and studying for many years. I started looking for some ideas to put my energy to use when I discovered Etsy in early 2010. I instantly fell in love with this community full of creative minds! That’s when I decided to jump in and share my imagination with the world.

I had never tried to make something with my hands but had always been attracted by fashion designs. So I began designing jewellery. I made a few unconvincing experiments at first and tried to play with different materials. When I began, I was mainly trying to find my way, my own style and approach. Although I went in all directions, at least one thing was consistent: my background in environment always made me look for materials that I could recycled or repurposed. That was my desire to keep my work environmentally friendly. Obviously, this is not easy. And I’m still making discoveries with more materials that can be recycled and repurposed…I think that this will never stop.

In the end, what inspired me to launch UNDER A NEW LIGHT was to create thoughtful designs.
I like to bring the mystic of the past into the velocity of the present and show it under a new light."

Wow. This story is so inspirational and truly makes me want to sit down, brainstorm, and start experimenting with my own shop. I also absolutely adore her shop for being so eco-friendly, if you can why not especially if they come out as lovely as her jewelry. I hope that you are inspired to start creating too.

I fell in love with the knotted jewelry above but what first attracted me to Under A New Light was this piece, which makes my Etsy favorites so lovely:
Please visit and find your own favorites too!

Find Under A New Light here:
FacebookTwitterBlog: Treasuries

Thanks for stopping in and getting to know Under A New Light!
I hope you've enjoyed it as much as I have!
-Lo

2 comments:


  1. oooh. love your blog so much!!
    And I love this post really.)

    Can you answer on my question?

    What is your favorite place on earth and why?
    It s really intresting for me, becaurse I love travaling and photo.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! I was instantly smitten by her blog and etsy store.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting my little blog! I greatly appreciate your time & your comment & hope to get back to you shortly!